AMERICA 26-Apr-2019 Thodupuzha K Shankar
Thodupuzha K Shankar
At the very outset, it is worth mentioning here that Bhajan Samaj, Ghatkopar (East) has been doing a yeoman’s service by organizing and conducting many vedic , and cultural activities in connection with the Ramnavami celebration, in the spacious temple complex, for the benefit of all devotees and enthusiasts in a very discipled and systematic manner. Especially, the unassuming Chairman Shri G. Mahadevan and the secretary Shri. Shekhar, with the support of the tireless and dedicated committee members, are playing a decisive role in raising the quality of spiritual services in all parameters and thereby rising to the expectations of the multitude of devotees all over. They are arranging many suitable programs from time to time, to suit the devotees’ pleasing aesthetics.
Smt. Padmini Radhakrishnan, the Bharat Natyam exponent in Garodia Nagar, Mumbai, is, no doubt, one of the most talented and outstanding dance teachers in India. This author had already written an elaborate feature article on her, showcasing all her activities and achievements in this genre, which was published in the Global Media a couple of years ago. As a dedicated artiste, she is gifted with the twin faculties of music and dance. She has groomed hundreds of students in the past and still continues with the same amount of fervour and enthusiasm and her batches of disciples are making many stage performances on specific occasions. Here is brief write up on the latest dance performances of her disciples in the Bhajan Samaj Temple complex, Garodia Nagar, on 24th and 25th April 2019(Wednesday and Thursday) in the evening, as part of the ongoing Ram Navami celebrations in the temple.
On 24th her well-groomed disciples viz, kum. Aakruti Anantharaman and Anushree Anantharaman, two graceful sisters, presented a series of brilliant performances as follows:
1) Pushpanjali Slokam
2) Sarasamukhi, depicting, Devi as Mahishasura Mardini
3) Macil Ayodiyil, depicting the story of Ramayana. (This way, the entire events and sequences in the well- known epic were presented so elegantly by these two young, upcoming artistes in the form of ‘a mother telling the story to a child’)
4) Kanavendum Guruvayurappanai. In this sequence, the artistes very touchingly depicted Prahlada, chanting ‘Narayana’ even when Hiranyakashipu, troubled him and the Lord instantly appearing in the form of Narasimha, to protect his devotee.
5) In the next being the last episode in the series, the artistes made a very sensational presentation of the’ Kaliya Narthana Thillana, with admirable ease and expertise, compelling the viewers to express their acclaim and appreciation with many rounds of spontaneous applause.
On 25th , In continuation of the dance recitals by Smt. Padmini’s team, another set of dances were presented, beginning with the Trimurthi Kauthuvam In praise of Brahma, Vishnu and Maheswara, followed by a thematic short ballet called Surya (soul of life) depicting the Sun God, the source of universal energy. It commenced with the SURYASHTAKAM and ended with the SURYA GAYATRI
The episodes depicted were :
1. Sun God with his consorts Sanjana and Chaya and his children Shani, Yama and Yamuna.
2. How Aditya Hridayam helped Sri Rama to slay Ravana
3. Young Kunti’s son Karna was born and how SURYA PUTRA, KARNA earned his special place as the most generous ‘giver’ or (donor) and an epitome of friendship and loyalty.
4. It concluded with the joyous harvest dance of Pongal as a thanks giving to SURYA (Sun God).
The following are the blossoming dancers of the blissful day’s event:
1)Sandhya Salian Kamath 2) Shweta Shetty
3)Shruti Kannan 4) Aditi Kamath
5)Tirtha Giri 6) Aakruti Anantharaman
7)Anushree Anantharaman 8) Srujanya Jayesh
9)Amrita Natarajan 10) Khushi Desai
All the artistes captured the audience with their scintillating performances.
In the whole event, as usual, Vocal and Nattuangam support was given by Smt. Padmini Radhakrishnan, with veterans shri B. Anantharaman(Ravi) on the violin and shri S. Sankaranarayanan on the mrudangam(Percussion).
It is worth mentioning here that with the introduction of various programs and activities from time to time, our temple is gaining so much of importance and attracting devotees from everywhere.
The whole event went off well and the entire dance and music program of the day was a sumptuous soulful, feast to everyone!